Housing Application

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Application and Agreement 

How do I apply for housing on the USF Sarasota-Manatee campus?

When you have been admitted to the University of South Florida, you will be able to apply for housing online in the Housing Portal. Please review the housing application steps before applying.

When can I apply for housing on the USF Sarasota-Manatee campus?

You must be admitted to the university to apply for campus housing. Students are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage you to complete your application early in order to secure a room in your hall of choice. The online application for the fall semester is usually available by October or November of the previous year. Applications for Spring Only are usually available by September of the previous year. Applications for Summer are usually available in March or April of the agreement year. 

More info: Application Process

Do I have to sign up for a meal plan when I apply for housing?

All students living on campus must sign up for a meal plan. If you are beginning your on-campus stay in the summer, you must sign up for a meal plan for the summer and for the fall/spring.

More info: USF Dining Services

Do I need to be enrolled in courses at USF to live on campus?

Yes, you must be enrolled in at least one course each semester to live on campus. 

I would like to apply for housing, but I am financially unable to acquire the application fee. Is there anything you can do to waive this payment?

The $50 application fee is required for all students interested in living on campus. You can submit a request to defer the application fee in the Housing Portal. After logging in, select “Requests,” then “Application Fee Deferment Request.” Select the term for which you would like to request a deferment, then complete and submit the request.

I am in need of a medical or ADA accommodation. What do I need to do?

We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to students with medical and ADA needs. For an accommodation, please submit your request and supporting medical documentation in writing via the housing portal. Once Housing & Residential Education reviews your request to determine any reasonable and appropriate accommodations, we will notify you of the decision via your USF email account. Please note that this request is only for housing accommodations, any academic accommodations must be requested with Student Accessibility Services.

More info: Medical and ADA Accommodation Requests

How do I cancel my housing agreement?

All requests to cancel must be done in writing via the Housing Portal. Not all requests to cancel are granted. It is your responsibility to cancel your housing agreement before cancellation deadlines to avoid charges if you decide not to attend USF. To cancel your agreement, please log into the Housing Portal and select Requests, then Cancel Application. Then fill out the appropriate cancellation form. Please refer to the terms and conditions of your agreement for cancellation deadlines and cancellation fees that may apply. Please note that your housing application is not automatically cancelled when you inform other offices that you will not be attending the university. For further information on cancellations, please contact us at 813-974-0001.

¿Hay alguien disponible para responder mis preguntas sobre las residencias en Español?

Sí, estamos disponible lunes a viernes, de 8 a.m. a 5 p.m. Si tiene dudas por favor contáctenos al 813-974-0001. También puede enviar sus preguntas a nuestro correo, housing@usf.edu.

Room Selection, Housing Assignments, and Roommates

How do I find my housing/room assignment?

Your housing assignment can be checked in the Housing Portal. Log in and select My Account, then My Assignments. From here you can view your housing assignment, roommates, suitemates.

Please note: Room numbers will be availble beginning August 1, 2024.

What does the 3-letter code mean next to my room number in my housing assignment?

The 3-letter code indicates the building designation.

Can I request to live with someone I know?

When completing a housing application in the Housing Portal students can list other students they would like to room with. 

I looked up my future roommates on social media and don't like what I see. Do you recommend I switch roommates before meeting in person?

First impressions are important, but using social media to make complex generalizations about those with whom we live, work, and commune is not the best way to make your first impression. We encourage you to connect with your new roommate before attempting to change rooms. It is good to find out what you have in common and what can be learned from each other. If you remain uncomfortable and room selection remains open, you can feel free to submit a room change form that will allow you to switch to another room.

I have issues with my current roommate. Is there anything that can be done to help me?

We want you to have the best experience possible while living on campus. Before you decide to change rooms, please consider that roommate issues may persist even in a new environment. We recommend contacting your Student Leader and/or Residence Hall Director for further assistance. Your Residence Life staff has been trained to help you talk about issues affecting you and your current roommate.

Campus Life 

What are the benefits of living on campus?

Everything is included when you live on campus, and everything is right outside your door. National research shows that students who live on campus for at least a year graduate at higher rates, and sooner, than those who don't. That's what it's all about! The campus experience connects you in a way no other living option can. When you live on campus, you get the full college experience. When you live off campus, you don’t.

Do residents usually bring cars to campus?

Many of our residents bring cars with them to campus.

What do you recommend I bring with me to personalize my room?

For a list of items to bring/avoid, please read through our move-in checklist.

 More info: Pinterest

How do residents get into the halls?

For the security of our residents, all residence halls entrances are equipped with card readers. Your USF student ID will be activated upon move-in for the hall in which you reside. Guests must be accompanied by the resident at all times.

What do I do if I lose the key to my room/suite/apartment?

If you do not have your room key, please visit your service desk. 

Can I stay in my residence hall during breaks and holidays?

Most halls close between semesters - about four weeks in December, one week in May, and about four weeks in July/August.

On-Campus Features and Services 

Are the rooms furnished?

All of the rooms in the residence halls are fully furnished with a bed, dresser, desk, chair, and closet for each resident. 

What size are the beds in my room?

Residence halls on the Sarasota-Manatee campus have Twin XL beds.

What appliances are in the kitchenettes?

Kitchenettes in apartment style housing will have a full-size refrigerator, microwave, and a sink. The community kitchen located on the 6th floor will have a sink and an oven with a range.

Housing Policies 

Is there a curfew in the halls?

Although there are 24-hour courtesy hours, USF does not impose a curfew on the residents.

In general, between 10 p.m. and 10 a.m. are quiet hours, to respect those who would like to sleep. During final exam weeks, we have 24-hour quiet hours, during which it is expected for students to be mindful of those studying around them.

What is the visitation policy?

Guests must be always escorted by a resident while in the residence hall. A guest is defined as someone who does not have a current room assignment in the hall they are visiting, whether a current student or a third-party. The resident escorting the guest is responsible for the behavior and actions of the guest. Guests/Visitors may visit overnight for up to three (3) consecutive days in a 30-day period.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?

Small fish kept in a tank of 10 gallons or less are allowed. No other pets are allowed in the residence halls.

How should I set up my electronics? Are there any cables I should or shouldn’t bring to campus?

Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls. Everything should be plugged into a surge protector, not directly into the wall. Please keep in mind that some appliances draw a lot of electricity (e.g., mini fridges and microwaves). To avoid overloading the circuit, please don't try to plug too much into a single surge protector.

The residence halls have Wi-Fi access, but also having an Ethernet cable (for faster speeds) is not a bad idea.

I have a hold on my account that is housing related. How can I get it removed so I can register for classes?

A hold on your housing account may be the result of disciplinary action and/or financial commitment. If you have been placed on hold for a disciplinary cause, please contact the Residence Hall Director.

If the hold is for financial reasons, it will not be lifted until you have secured a payment for the balance. In cases when unforeseen extenuating circumstances require a delay in payment, a payment plan can be established with the student. Please note that, upon establishing a payment plan, the hold will only be lifted for a finite period of time after receiving a down payment towards the outstanding balance. Please contact the Associate Director for Operations and Outreach to discuss whether a payment plan is a viable option in your situation.

Move-In and Move-Out 

When can I move in?

Official move-in dates for each semester are posted on the Housing Calendar page when they are available.

Housing Payments and Charges 

I would like to make a payment towards rent on my OASIS account. How can I do that?

You can learn how to make a housing payment on our Payment Information page. 

Is there a way to automatically pay for housing?

Housing & Residential Education does not offer automatic payment options.

Are payment plans offered?

Housing & Residential Education does not offer payment plans. Students have the ability to pay at any rate they feel is appropriate, however all rental charges for the term are due by the financial aid deferment deadline for the term in question.

More info: Payment Information

Do I have to pay the first month's rent before moving in?

A student is not required to make rent payments prior to moving in, however all rent must be paid by the financial aid deferment deadline for the term in question. You can learn more about making a housing payment on our Payment Information page.

What housing expenses are covered by the Florida Prepaid Dormitory Plan?

The 'dormitory' plan covers the cost of a standard, double-occupancy, air-conditioned residence hall room up to the highest priced standard double occupancy rate for the year in question. If your assigned hall is more expensive, you will need to pay the difference. 

I have Florida Prepaid. What do I need to do to make my housing payments?

The University Cashier's Office will automatically apply Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory plans toward Fall or Spring rental charges. If you do not see your Florida Pre-Paid benefit applied to your account, contact the Cashier's Office.

More info: Cashier's Office

Can you help me with financial aid questions?

While we are often able to assist with general inquiries pertaining to financial aid, the Financial Aid office can best answer all other questions. Their phone number is 813-974-4700.

How can I appeal buy out charges/rent charges/cancel fees?

To appeal a fee, you will need to log on to the Housing Portal, select Requests, select Appeal, and complete the appeals form online. Appeals will only be accepted in writing, via the appeals form. Please be aware that Appeals could take up to 21 business days to process.