The Academic Success Center (ASC) provides free tutoring and writing consultations to all actively enrolled University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee campus students. Tutoring is provided for a variety of courses and subjects such as, Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Finance, Math & Statistics, Physics, and Spanish. For tutoring information on our other campuses please visit the St. Petersburg and Tampa campus websites.
Students may choose between face-to-face or online tutoring, but must have the necessary technology support for online sessions. For writing consultations, students may choose between face-to-face or asynchronous e-tutoring sessions where they upload their documents to their scheduled sessions before the session starts and get feedback after an hour. Students may access their documents with feedback any time after an hour by clicking on their scheduled session on the ASC scheduler. The feedback document will be placed right below the student’s original document in the dialog box and can be downloaded by clicking on it.
Writing style guides for APA, MLA, Chicago style and other resources are also available under the “Tutoring Resources” tab.
HOW TO MAKE A TUTORING APPOINTMENT
Making an appointment with our online scheduler is quick and convenient. Please follow these steps:
- Go to the scheduler.
- Create an account if this is your first time making an appointment. (This account will be separate from your NetID account.)
- Choose the subject schedule you wish to view by using the dropdown menu
- Click on a white space in the schedule to make an appointment. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen to access another subject schedule.
- Enter the information requested and click the “Save Appointment” button. You are done!
The USF Sarasota Manatee campus is offering tutoring via two platforms: synchronous online and asynchronous etutoring for writing.
You must have access to a computer.
- Functioning camera and microphone are highly recommended
- Log in at least 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Click on your appointment hour cell (yellow) on the scheduler
- Click on "Start or join consultation" in the center of the window
- GoogleMeets may be used as a backup, please have your USF gmail open and wait for an invite via email to join the meeting with the tutor
ETUTORING FOR WRITING
- Choose etutoring option while making appointment
- Upload paper (.doc, .docx; no pdfs, no pages) when prompted
- Access feedback document after appointment hour expires by clicking on your appointment hour cell
If an ASC Tutor is unavailable during your requested time or for your requested subject area, feel free to utilize TutorMe! To access TutorMe, log into Canvas, go to your course and click on the TutorMe link in the course navigation. You will automatically be signed in.
Tutor Me is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sessions are limited to 60 minutes, but you can have up to 3 sessions per week. What does that mean? Well, you can get up to 3 hours of tutoring per week, when and where you need it, even if it’s in the middle of the night!
Academic Success Center
CANCELLATIONS AND NO-SHOWS
Students may cancel appointments any time before their tutoring session starts by cancelling it on the scheduler (view instructions for cancelling appointments by clicking on download brief text tutorial) or by calling 941-359-4330 to cancel without penalty; however, we suggest that you cancel appointments as far in advance as possible to make sessions available to other students.
Appointments are held for 15 minutes after the beginning of the scheduled session after which it is cancelled and made available to students seeking walk-ins.
Students with three no-shows may be restricted from scheduling new appointments for the remainder of the semester.