The university offers free antivirus software to students with a valid NetID. Currently,
this software is only compatible with Windows PCs – systems running Mac OS, Linux,
or other operating systems are not covered.
Symantec Virus Protection (instructions & download)
Observing basic safety practices is essential for protecting your computer and your personal data. Following these simple guidelines will help to ensure that you stay secure:
- Keep your software up to date. Program developers regularly update their software in order to repair discovered vulnerabilities, but you’re only protected if you install updates as they become available.
- Use discretion when installing new programs. Make sure you know what you’re installing and read through all of the installation prompts. Many programs come packaged with add-on software that you may not need and which may impact the functionality of other programs.
- Use a firewall. A firewall helps prevent unauthorized access to your computer and most operating systems come pre-packaged with one.
- Browse smart. Avoid downloading files and programs from websites that you’re not familiar with.
- Be an email skeptic. Don’t download attachments or follow links in emails from people that you don’t know.
- Avoid P2P and distributed file-sharing. Besides opening users up to copyright infringement issues, file-sharing programs are also often rife with malicious software.
- Use strong passwords. It’s recommended that all passwords contain at least 8 characters and use a mixture of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and symbols.